Category Archives: Community

Son of Joseph, Part 2: Capernaum and Nazareth

Yesterday, we took a look at an event soon after the Feeding of the Five Thousand in John’s Gospel, where people are big fans of Jesus, until He appears to have an agenda that differs from theirs. At that point, … Continue reading

Posted in Bible, Christianity, Community, Faith, Forgiveness, Gospel, Grace, Gratitude, Old Testament, Relationship | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

The W-Word, Part 3

A few weeks ago, my church’s music team played a bunch of old-timey bluegrass worship tunes, rather than the usual Chris Tomlin–Matt Maher fare, and the congregation was very much engaged with the music that day. They sang along, they … Continue reading

Posted in Christianity, Community, Faith, God, Holy Spirit, Insight, Music, Words, Worship, Writing | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

The W-Word, Part 2

When I first came to Holy Trinity Anglican Church, it was pretty common to see people raising their hands during worship songs. And since my limited church experience had all come in fairly traditional churches, this freaked me out a … Continue reading

Posted in Bible, Christianity, Church, Community, Faith, Holy Spirit, Music, Relationship, Words, Wrestling, Writing | Tagged , , , , , , | 6 Comments

The W-Word, Part 1

I decided to resume the Word Series this week by studying a very common – and very loaded – Christian word: worship. When does worship begin, and when does it end? Which aspects of a Christian church service fall inside the category of … Continue reading

Posted in Bible, Christianity, Church, Community, Insight, Music, Relationship, Words, Worship, Writing | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

And On That Day

I said goodbye to a close friend I didn’t know very well last night. As I said on Facebook a couple of days ago, Jennifer Pastirik and I didn’t really interact all that much. Over the eight years we knew … Continue reading

Posted in Christianity, Church, Community, Faith, Grace, Gratitude, Kindness, Music, Worship | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | 4 Comments

Fajah-hood

First, I need to confess that pretty much every time I hear or say the word ‘father’, I think ‘fajah’, and giggle. And for reasons that will come clear as you watch this video, I blame/thank Mike Myers: Now that … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Creation, Grace, Gratitude, Monty Python, The Trinity, Words | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

FireWater Part 1

How can our God be a Consuming Fire (Hebrews 12:29), and yet be the source of Living Water (John 4:10)? I’ve had fire and water on the brain (there’s gotta be a better way to say that) in recent days, … Continue reading

Posted in Baptism, Bible, Community, Fire, God, Grace, Holy Spirit, Insight, Torah, Water, Words | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment